Friday, September 11, 2009

May 18, 1937 letters from Velma Evans to my great-grandmother, Mary Etta Lee McLemore, and my grandmother, Elma Rose McLemore Moody

Velma Evans was a young African-American woman who took care of my aged and ailing great-grandmother, Mary Etta Lee McLemore. Mary was the wife of Walter Scott McLemore, Maj. Amos McLemore's grandson. My father remembered Mrs. Evans like this: "Velma was a very gentle and loving woman who must have lived nearby, but I can't imagine just where." (Letter from Rudy Leverett to Victoria Bynum, March 13, 1996)

* * *

Newton Miss

Dear Mrs. McLemore

I got here ok found all well But my Brother is mity sick oh we sure have the grass up here I will try to get back just ase soon ase I can. Mama. say she wash you hade [?] some of this pritty graden she sure have a pritty garden. I cant write for thank of this grass cotton tell all the chrildren hello also Wilmar and Mrs. Lee to Will be home soon ase I can Close with Love Velma

Dear Mrs Elma got here ok Sunday nite left hattiesBurg one 44 Sunday Monro [?] was feeling fine when I left I hads to come through Meridan [Meridian] to get home and it cost me [$3.00] to go home that way so I ant [ain't?] got my fair Back home I and [am?] trying to get through so I can come home Sunday nite if I can the cotton sure is grassy you and Mrs. McLemore please sen me [$4.00] and I will work it out when I get back home I hade to pay Milton Doctor Bill and I hade to help pay it my Brother to Love to All

Velma Evans

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Quite a few windows into relationships, poverty, literacy, attachment to family, importance of the care of crops, and so on. What a find! Love your blog and your messages. Keep them up. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete