Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Howard McLemore's letter to the Hattiesburg American about his contempt citation

Hattiesburg, Miss.
May 8, 1939.

Editor, The American:

Since there has been so much comment on the charge of contempt of court filed against me in circuit court Friday, May 5, I wish to make this statement:

To begin with I wish to state that I made no loud outburst in the courtroom as some of the county officers would have you believe. I spoke the word “amen” in a very low tone, and not in a deep tone and certainly not with the intention of causing a disturbance or being disrespectful to the court.

M. Hawkins was being cross-examined by Attorney Earle L. Wingo and the question co-incided so perfectly with what was in my own mind at the moment that I spoke on an impulse.

Deputy Cubley was standing near where I was sitting and asked who spoke; and when I told him it was I he walked over to Judge Pack and said, “A man said ‘amen’ back there.”

Judge Pack said “bring him around.” Then Mr. Cubley called me around and took me before the judge where I asked what I was being charged with, a thing I had a perfect right to do.

Instead of telling me what the charges were or giving me any information Mr Cubley grabbed me by the shoulders and shoved me away, saying: “Judge Pack said put you in that room.”

To which I replied: “I don’t give a damn what Judge Pack said; I want to know what I am charged with.” As a citizen I had a right to make this demand.

In the course of a very few minutes I was brought back before the judge, where I asked for time and opportunity to procure an attorney and was told that I had already had a chance to get an attorney; I think my rights as a citizen were denied again.

In about five minutes they had questioned the states’ witnesses which constituted all the testimony that was offered in the case since I was locked in the room alone without a chance to prepare my case.

Results: One hundred dollars and thirty days!

I take this opportunity to thank the many good citizens who have offered me assistance.

HOWARD McLEMORE, sr.

No comments:

Post a Comment