Wednesday, September 2, 2009

From Dad's chronology of childhood events

"1940 -114 Short Bay Street [Hattiesburg, Mississippi]. Mrs. Ravelsied owned this house. This is where 'Chiefy,' the soldier with the knife wound in his stomach, slept in the dark on a couch. An English couple called the Prestons lived upstairs. Harold [my father's brother] took care of [my father]. Leroy [an uncle of my father's] bought Jim and Harold a peanut roasting machine, and they sold peanuts to help feed the family."

3 comments:

  1. Ing, can I get a copy of that chronology? I fear I gave all my "dad papers" to UM. This whole trip of your has put a lump in my throat that I suspect won't leave until you come back. with all your stories. Or maybe this blog and its stories will ease my swallow sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you can, "Alamo." I'll send you a copy. I'm realizing that some part of Dad understood that his story was remarkable and worthy of telling, even though he didn't want to be the one to tell it. That's the only reason I can think he recorded those memories. Anyway, much of it is corroborated, and supplemented, by a long narrative by Aunt W. that I also have and will send you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right about that - the reason dad recorded the chronology of his past. What an odd thought.

    ReplyDelete